What Is The Meaning Of A Feather Tattoo?
The feather represents freedom, trust, honor, and strength, among other things. The powerful meaning associated with this symbol makes it a great tattoo, regardless of the size.
- 0.1 Is a feather tattoo feminine?
- 0.2 What do feather tattoos mean men?
- 0.3 Where do you put the feather tattoo?
- 0.4 Is it disrespectful to get a feather tattoo?
- 0.5 What tattoo represents strength?
- 1 What does the arrow tattoo mean?
- 2 What does a cardinal feather tattoo mean?
- 3 What does the 3 dot triangle tattoo mean?
- 4 What does a red feather tattoo mean?
- 5 Why is a feather a symbol of freedom?
Is a feather tattoo feminine?
Feather tattoos are often a desirable choice of tattoo for women. Despite their popularity, they are nonetheless meaningful and often unique in design. Frequently associated with flight and birds , plumage principally represents freedom , courage, fortitude and wisdom.
- There are a multitude of different feather designs and depictions to choose from, and if you’re considering a tattoo it’s important to think of ways you can make the tattoo unique and special for you;
- Firstly you’ll need to consider the placement of your tattoo , as well as the size;
Where you get your ink, as well as how big it is, will drastically change the ultimate aesthetic. It’s therefore important to think hard about what kind of look you want to achieve. Feathers tend to be on the smaller size , either equal to or a little smaller than real-life size feathers.
What do feather tattoos mean men?
What does a feather tattoo mean? – A feather tattoo can mean a host of different things depending on the person’s life experience and cultural background. However, a few common themes run through most feather tattoos are freedom, independence, and courage.
Where do you put the feather tattoo?
Best Placement of Feather Tattoos – You have a lot of freedom when it comes to where to place your feather tattoo. Because of the flexible shape, you can get away with placing your feather tattoo just about anywhere on your body. The most common places for a feather tattoo is along the rib cage or on the back.
- This connects the bird’s feather to the idea of growing your own wings;
- In addition, bird feathers are also common on the upper arm and thigh;
- Pro tip : Depending on the complexity of details your tattoo will entail, the size of the tattoo will need to be modified;
Meaning, if you want an elaborate feather tattoo design, you might need to get a bigger one – which won’t fit on a finger, or your wrist. In that case, you’ll probably have to go for a back tattoo, or a leg tattoo, to make sure it heals and ages well. If it’s a small line work, with little details that you’re after, check out the small tattoo ideas and go for it.
Is it disrespectful to get a feather tattoo?
Other Offensive and Appropriative Tattoos – Credit: Instagram There is a whole array of offensive and appropriative tattoo designs. However, not everything is always offensive and appropriative to everyone equally. But, we decided to mention tattoo designs that are universally considered offensive and appropriative to different people and different cultures.
- Sexually explicit tattoos – obviously, if you have a sexually explicit tattoo, it will be considered disrespectful, distasteful and offensive. There is no particular reason people feel compelled to get such tattoos, but they generally tend to be pretty offensive to other people.
- Sugar skull tattoos – the sugar skull is one of the main symbolism of the Day of the Dead celebration. This celebration is deeply rooted in the Aztec tradition, which is nowadays practiced as a ritual in Mexico. Unless you’re of Mexican heritage or part of the culture in other ways, it would be pretty offensive to get a sugar skull or Calavera tattoo.
- Native American tattoos – to get a tattoo that depicts either Native Americans or any of the Native American symbolism (Indian headdress, dreamcatchers , and feathers , spiritual animals like eagle or bear , etc. ), without belonging to the culture, heritage, and tradition, is considered offensive and disrespectful.
- Certain numerical tattoos – if a tattoo only says 100%, chances are the wearer believes in white supremacy, since it stands for pure Aryan blood. Moreover, if a tattoo shows the number 18, it stands for the initials of Adolf Hitler (1st and 18th letters of the alphabet are A and H). And, if a tattoo shows 311, chances are it stands for KKK (since the 11th letter of the alphabet is K and it is repeated 3 times).
- A noose tattoo – this tattoo is considered offensive due to its historical association with lynching. Such symbolism is racist and directed primarily at African-Americans; it also promotes hate speech and needles to say, is offensive on so many levels.
What tattoo represents strength?
Lotus/Floral Tattoo Design – As mentioned earlier, the lotus flower is an ultimate symbol of personal emotional, and physical strength. The lotus design is suitable for both men and women and represents power, strength, endurance, and one’s ability to overcome life’s struggles.
The design is incredibly beautiful, and the tattoo can be either small or big, simple or intricate. Some people tend to chose wonderful color schemes for their lotus tattoo, while others go with a more minimalistic approach.
Either way, you cannot go wrong with a lotus design.
- Tattoo highlights – just like with any design, the lotus tattoo can be either less or more expensive depending on the size, intricacy of the design, and the choice of color. Smaller designs can cost you up to $800 , while larger lotus tattoos with intricate design can cost up to $2,500.
- Best body placement – forearm, wrist, ankle, foot, middle of the chest, side of the neck, the bottom of the neck, lower back, shoulder area, etc.
Other Design Recommendations .
What does the arrow tattoo mean?
Struggle and Triumph – Arrow tattoos naturally represent the ideas of struggle and triumph thanks to its use as a tool and weapon. A design that features an arrow being pulled back on a bow represents tension, conflict, or life struggle. On the other hand, an arrow resting on a bow may instead represent the achievement of peace and calm.
Another design idea that symbolizes struggle is two arrows pointing away from each other—a representation of war or conflict. On the other hand, an arrow tattoo with a feather represents triumph over that life struggle or conflict, as well as liberty and independence.
Whether poised or relaxed, arrow tattoos often represent the idea of struggle and victory.
What does an owl feather tattoo mean?
Owl Feather Tattoo Designs: – in Native American cultures, the feather of a bird was believed to carry the bird’s spirit, which would guide the feather carrier in the afterlife. As a tattoo design, the owl feather represents spirituality and guidance along the right path.
What does a cardinal feather tattoo mean?
Cardinal Feather Tattoo – @cgudikunst, @tattoosbyemi Apart from being a very pretty red bird, the cardinal’s often associated with Christmas and I love the message behind it. Its feather is all about positivity and motivation and means that anything is possible if you just believe.
What does a bird tattoo mean?
FINAL THOUGHTS REGARDING BIRD TATTOOS – As a whole, bird tattoos represent physical and spiritual freedom in life, and each type of bird symbolizes an even deeper and more insightful representation of what it means to honestly live a free and happy life.
What does feathers represent spiritually?
What Does a Feather Symbolize? – By the time Christianity spread throughout Europe, feathers became associated with the presence of angels, hence the expression “feathers appear when angels are near. ” Because feathers are beautiful and ethereal in nature, it’s small wonder why the connection between the two was made.
- Feathers are sacred gifts from the Divine, a show of force from the heavens that they are listening to your prayers, your wishes and your desires;
- It’s a symbol of acknowledgment, that someone or something in the spirit world is looking out for you, keeping you safe and empowering you to whatever path you set upon;
If you see a feather, your angel is near and they are reminding you that, with them, you are safe. And remember that angels aren’t just the celestial beings that serve the Divine: they can also be the souls of loved ones who have been raised into glory and given power to protect, to guide and even to grant your heart’s desires.
What does the 3 dot triangle tattoo mean?
There are many different versions of the three dots tattoo and many different meanings as well, ranging from simple and aesthetic to dark and complicated. The three dots can be arranged in a variety of ways, depending on the intention and can also be colored or shaded in slightly differently to allow for a number of options in design.
The three dots, arranged in a triangular shape, can represent a criminal lifestyle alluding to gang membership and serving time in prison. It’s not uncommon to see one person with the three dots tattoo with others that have similar tats.
It does not necessarily mean that they are still in gangs, but there is a pretty good chance that they were once part of gangs and proud of it. The small and simple black dots are often placed on the face between the eye and the temple making it incredibly visible. The placement serves as a representation of the prominence of crime and counterculture in the individual’s life. The reason why it is made so visible is because the owner wants others to know that they live the “hard” life. It is a way to intimidate others both inside of and outside of prison.
- It’s also a way for fellow gang members to quickly recognize one of their own, which is made much easier by the fact that they have the exact same three dots tattoos on their faces;
- The more obvious the placement of the three dots, the more prevalent crime is in the person’s world;
Some people will get the three dots tattoo right next to one of their eyes, while others might get the tat on their arm or hand. It all comes down to how easily the owner wants people to recognize their gang affiliation. In some cases, gang members don’t have a choice since everyone in their gang gets the three dots tattoo in the same area.
The dots in the three dots tattoo are a symbol of the Latin American principle of “mi vida loca”, which means “my crazy life” in Spanish, where each dot represents one word. This is one of the many reasons why the three dots are kept so close together.
The phrase is commonplace among Central American gangs all over the Americas and the numerous gangs that adopt the “gangster” lifestyle. The triangularly shaped dots can be placed in other locations on the body but generally are placed in obvious locations, like on the hand or fingers, to emphasize the lifestyle to others.
- This style of three dot tattoo is often done while incarcerated and is taken quite seriously as a gang symbol;
- When a gang member does get the three dot tattoo on their hand rather than their face, it could be to keep the tattoo hidden from police while also allowing fellow gang members to see that they are affiliated with them;
Tattoo designs involving three single dots do not necessarily mean that the people are affiliated with a gangster lifestyle, even if placed in triangular form. In some cases, the dots are arranged and tattooed this way simply because of the symmetry of the design. Dots can be rendered in a horizontal or vertical line, straight or diagonal. This is often done just for the minimalist aesthetic and for the simple appearance of the three dots. The dots can be the same size to keep the symmetry or vary in size, color, or shade. There are hundreds of design avenues that you can go down with the three dots tattoo when you’re not getting it as a gang tattoo.
Owners of these tattoos can come up with any number of three dot tattoo meanings since there are plenty of things that use the number three. For example, someone who wants to get a very cheap and private tattoo might get the three dots tattoo to represent three very important moments or people in their lives.
The image of three dots can hold religious significance as well. The number three is often a reference to the Holy Trinity in Christianity and represents the Son, the Father, and the Holy Spirit. Some people will get a religious version of the three dots tattoo that looks exactly like the gangster version, while others might put a lot more space between the dots.
The three dots can be accompanied by a crucifix or other religious iconography to make the intention of the tattoo clear although the additional imagery should be clean and simple so that the three dots are emphasized rather than hidden.
Moons or stars work well with the dots to create a minimalist constellation design. Interestingly, some people combine three dot tattoo meanings to make this tattoo even more personal. It’s not uncommon at all for someone to get a three dot tattoo to represent both their “crazy” side and their religious side. In a literary sense the three dots represent the ellipsis, a grammatical element used to indicate the incompletion of a thought or phrase. The ellipsis alludes to something that is not stated but possibly implied, a sentence that trails off and leaves question. The ellipsis tattoo is a symbol of continuation, a path or journey that leads to something more for better or worse. It represents something that does not necessarily need to be said or written but it better left unsaid.
- After all, plenty of prisoners find religion while they are behind bars so it makes sense that they would find the three dot tattoo to be the perfect tat for them;
- What’s interesting is that people often think that someone has a three dots tattoo when they actually have the five dots tattoo;
These two tats have different meanings, though they can look quite similar. With the five dot tattoo, the owner is trying to show that they are the fifth dot trapped inside of the other four dots, representing their time spent in prison. When looking at a three dots tattoo, it is important to look at the shape of the dots before coming to any conclusions about the meaning of the tattoo.
If the dots are in the shape of a triangle, they could represent any of the things we mentioned above. If they are in a straight line, there’s a pretty good chance that the owner is not in a gang. Because the three dots tattoo can make someone seem like they’re in a gang even though they aren’t, it’s always a good idea to get other designs around the three dots to make the meaning a bit clearer.
The number three itself has quite a few meanings, and the three dots tattoo might have more to do with the number than the dots. For example, someone might get the three dots tattoo to represent “motivation” because that is one of the more well-known meanings for the number three.
This is yet another reason why you shouldn’t assume that a three dots tattoo automatically means that the owner of the tat is or ever was in a gang. However, if you do want to use the number three in this way, we recommend trying to find another design than the three dots tattoo to avoid unwanted confusion.
You might also find that the three dots were used because they are a cheap and easy tattoo to get. Three friends might get three dots apiece to represent their friendship, though these tattoos are very rarely on the face. These types of cheap tattoos are often done outside of a tattoo parlor since pretty much anyone could make a dot with a needle. To go even further, the three dots might represent something very personal to the owner. The dots could represent loved ones or even personal goals. It’s an inexpensive tattoo that can have multiple meanings for the owner and they just wanted anything that could represent those meanings. That being said, the three dots tattoo is generally seen as a prison tat, especially when it is drawn on the owner’s face.
We don’t recommend making your own tattoos, but it’s certainly not uncommon. That doesn’t mean you should assume that the person is gang affiliated, but it is the most common meaning. Obviously you have a lot to think about if you are planning on getting a three dots tattoo.
If you don’t want it to be seen as a gang tattoo, it would be best to not get it in a triangular shape and to avoid getting it on or around your face. You can very easily get the three dots to blend in with a bigger design if you really want to have a three dots tattoo.
It’s probably pretty surprising to find out that the three dots tattoo has so many meanings. While it is a tattoo that was once seen as just another gang tattoo, it now has all of the meanings listed above and plenty of others.
In all honesty, it’s a tattoo that you’ll want to avoid altogether unless you’re able to find a unique design that won’t confuse people. .
What are the most cliche tattoos?
What tattoos are offensive?
What does the Bible say about tattoos?
Tattoos have been around for millennia. People got them at least five thousand years ago. Today they’re common everywhere from Maori communities in New Zealand to office parks in Ohio. But in the ancient Middle East, the writers of the Hebrew Bible forbade tattooing.
Per Leviticus 19:28, “You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves. ” Historically, scholars have often understood this as a warning against pagan practices of mourning.
But language scholar John Huehnergard and ancient-Israel expert Harold Liebowitz argue that tattooing was understood differently in ancient times. Huehnergard and Liebowitz note that the appearance of the ban on incisions—or tattoos—comes right after words clearly related to mourning, perhaps confirming the original theory.
- And yet, looking at what’s known about death rituals in ancient Mesopotamia, Syria, Israel, and Egypt, they find no references to marking the skin as a sign of mourning;
- They also note that there are other examples in Leviticus and Exodus where two halves of a verse address different issues;
So that could be the case here, too. What tattoos were apparently often used for in ancient Mesopotamia was marking enslaved people (and, in Egypt, as decorations for women of all social classes). Egyptian captives were branded with the name of a god, marking them as belongings of the priests or pharaoh.
But devotees might also be branded with the name of the god they worshiped. Huehnergard and Liebowitz suggest that, given the key role of the escape from Egyptian bondage in ancient Jewish law, the Torah originally banned tattooing because it was “the symbol of servitude.
” Interestingly, though, they write that there’s one other apparent reference to tattooing in the Hebrew Bible. Isaiah 44:5 describes the children of Jacob committing themselves to God: “One shall say, ‘I am the LORD’s’… Another shall mark his arm ‘of the LORD.
‘” Here a tattoo appears to be allowable as a sign of submission, not to a human master but to God. Ancient rabbinic debates produced a variety of different theories about the meaning of the prohibition on tattooing.
Some authorities believed that tattoos were only disallowed if they had certain messages, such as the name of God, the phrase “I am the Lord,” or the name of a pagan deity. Talmudic law developed around 200 CE says that a tattoo is only disallowed if it is done “for the purpose of idolatry”—but not if it’s intended to mark a person’s enslaved status.
Are arrow tattoos cultural appropriation?
Native American Tattoos – Native American tattoos have been used as a status symbol for many centuries. It’s used to differentiate between tribes or as a symbol of heritage and your ancestral lineage. These tattoo designs could be seen as culturally appropriative if you’re not of native American heritage.
What does a red feather tattoo mean?
Feather Symbolisms Based on Its Color – Feathers can also hold different meanings depending on their color. Here are some of them:
- Red feathers represent courage , power and passion. Having a red feather tattoo can show the world that you’re getting stronger each day, and you’re living your life passionately.
- An orange feather can symbolize creativity and harmony. If you’re going through a rocky stage in your life and in need of some change, an orange feather tattoo can be an inspiration.
- Reminding us of the color of the sun, yellow feathers symbolize happiness. If you want to burn brightly and spread some joy, a yellow feather tattoo is a great choice.
- Are you looking for a tattoo that can attract luck in your life? Green feathers are associated with good fortune and prosperity.
- Pink feathers represent love and romance , making them the perfect tattoo to bring more love in your life. Also, it can be a great reminder on how love can heal wounds.
- White feathers are associated with protection. For some, a white feather tattoo reminds them that they’re being guarded by guardian angels.
- Black feathers represent death but they can also be a great reminder of changing your old habits that are holding you down—and to move forward.
What do sunflower tattoos represent?
Intelligence, Longevity, and Good Luck – In some cultures, sunflower symbolizes things like longevity, intelligence, vitality, and good luck. For example, in Chinese culture, the royalty consumed sunflower seeds in order to achieve the highest levels of intelligence and possibly immortality.
Why is a feather a symbol of freedom?
What Do Feathers Symbolize? – Image Source International Business Times Generally speaker, feathers are associated with freedom, transcendence, communication, and spirituality. Feathers come from birds, and while different birds have their own specific meaning, birds have similar characteristics that also give them shared meaning. Feathers symbolize freedom because of the way birds are free to travel on earth and sky. This means there is nothing stopping them from going where they want to.