How To Find A Meaningful Tattoo?
Be Patient – Rawpixel / Getty Images Ultimately, gradually and thoughtfully are the best ways to proceed with your body art. Once you have a plan for your tattoo in a style you like, you can then scope out inspiration for design ideas that will have more significance and meaning later.
“You should also take the time to read up on different styles of tattoo designs,” Forte says. “During the process you’ll find some you like and come up with a solid game plan on what design(s) would be perfect for you.
” Don’t be in a hurry to commit to a design, especially if you want a tattoo with meaning. Remember, this is permanent (unless you undergo painful tattoo removal )..
- 1 How do you come up with a meaningful tattoo?
- 2 What makes a tattoo meaningful?
- 3 Can tattoos be meaningful?
- 4 What does the 3 dot triangle tattoo mean?
- 5 What tattoos are lucky?
- 6 What does Lotus tattoo mean?
- 7 What does a star tattoo on your hand mean?
- 8 What makes a tattoo design good?
How do you come up with a meaningful tattoo?
What makes a tattoo meaningful?
Consider What’s Meaningful to You – Once you know where you want to get your tattoo, it’s time to think about the visual elements you want involved. Christine V. suggests you keep in mind “what… you actually want in your tattoo, what personal meaning will it carry?” She advises against getting too literal with your design if, at all possible, “Sometimes it is good to consider more metaphorical symbolism, and not just go with a literal theme or idea.
- Being a bit more subtle and symbolic will yield a more personal and unique tattoo”;
- Christine D;
- , another artist at CTD, believes that if you’re looking into getting a custom design, you already have some kind of inspiration in mind – even if you don’t consciously know it yet, “…it is pretty rare for someone to simply get a custom tattoo designed ‘just because’… There is always a trigger for the desire [to get] a tattoo”;
She goes on to explain: When someone seeks an unique design, made just for them, it is a sign that there is something very special that they feel connected to, and that they need to make it a visible part of themselves, but…the person [doesn’t always have] a clear picture of what they want, sometimes what they have is just a feeling.
- And how to put a feeling into paper? Which is where working with an artist comes into play;
- “A tattoo is always more than a piece of artwork, it is an inspiration”, says Christine D;
- , so she encourages potential clients to think about what inspires them, whether it be music, art, someone special in your life, or a symbol to represent your own personality and experience;
Jen also recommends you think about what’s meaningful to you, because tattoos are “such a personal form of self-expression”, you could take inspiration from: one of your favorite places, animals, flowers, people you want to celebrate or remember, significant moments in your life, hobbies or media you enjoy, your heritage, mythology that resonates with you, or any symbolism that you feel connected to.
If you can’t decide on just one theme, don’t worry, Jen says, “tattoos… don’t necessarily need to have one driving theme in order to be a beautiful piece of art. If you are having trouble focusing on one theme, you can always incorporate several themes and elements into your tattoo”.
There a few different techniques that an artist could use to do this, like, “we can use filler elements (like clouds, waves, flowers, etc. ) to tie all the elements together into a cohesive whole, or just draw everything in a specific tattoo style which will unite all the disparate elements”.
Tattooist and CTD artist Andy W. echoes the idea of going with something personal, “so that it will mean something for the rest of your life”. He would not, however, advise going with a spouse’s name, “Personally, I think a partner’s name is a bit risky, as anything could happen”.
But that person can be inspiration for a symbol that represents your relationship , and make for a unique and lasting tattoo. There’s a ton of room for creativity and expression through art when you’re coming up with a tattoo design idea, but choosing something that is meaningful to you personally increases the chances that you’ll be happy with the tattoo in the long-term, as opposed to getting a trendy, ‘current’ design done..
Can tattoos be meaningful?
Body art can be of anything, but meaningful tattoos are the best because they reflect your thoughts and feelings. Every tattoo is important to the wearer, but some designs are more thought-provoking than others. If you are searching for something simple but powerful, consider a small symbol inking.
What does the tattoo 69 mean?
He explained the ’69’ motif with a declaration that it’s a reminder to himself to remember his origins and allow for different perspectives than his own, or as a defense against people who would look at him ‘upside down. ‘ ‘I never lost sense of where I came from,’ he wrote.
What does the 3 dot triangle tattoo mean?
There are many different versions of the three dots tattoo and many different meanings as well, ranging from simple and aesthetic to dark and complicated. The three dots can be arranged in a variety of ways, depending on the intention and can also be colored or shaded in slightly differently to allow for a number of options in design.
The three dots, arranged in a triangular shape, can represent a criminal lifestyle alluding to gang membership and serving time in prison. It’s not uncommon to see one person with the three dots tattoo with others that have similar tats.
It does not necessarily mean that they are still in gangs, but there is a pretty good chance that they were once part of gangs and proud of it. The small and simple black dots are often placed on the face between the eye and the temple making it incredibly visible. The placement serves as a representation of the prominence of crime and counterculture in the individual’s life. The reason why it is made so visible is because the owner wants others to know that they live the “hard” life. It is a way to intimidate others both inside of and outside of prison.
It’s also a way for fellow gang members to quickly recognize one of their own, which is made much easier by the fact that they have the exact same three dots tattoos on their faces. The more obvious the placement of the three dots, the more prevalent crime is in the person’s world.
Some people will get the three dots tattoo right next to one of their eyes, while others might get the tat on their arm or hand. It all comes down to how easily the owner wants people to recognize their gang affiliation. In some cases, gang members don’t have a choice since everyone in their gang gets the three dots tattoo in the same area.
- The dots in the three dots tattoo are a symbol of the Latin American principle of “mi vida loca”, which means “my crazy life” in Spanish, where each dot represents one word;
- This is one of the many reasons why the three dots are kept so close together;
The phrase is commonplace among Central American gangs all over the Americas and the numerous gangs that adopt the “gangster” lifestyle. The triangularly shaped dots can be placed in other locations on the body but generally are placed in obvious locations, like on the hand or fingers, to emphasize the lifestyle to others.
This style of three dot tattoo is often done while incarcerated and is taken quite seriously as a gang symbol. When a gang member does get the three dot tattoo on their hand rather than their face, it could be to keep the tattoo hidden from police while also allowing fellow gang members to see that they are affiliated with them.
Tattoo designs involving three single dots do not necessarily mean that the people are affiliated with a gangster lifestyle, even if placed in triangular form. In some cases, the dots are arranged and tattooed this way simply because of the symmetry of the design. Dots can be rendered in a horizontal or vertical line, straight or diagonal. This is often done just for the minimalist aesthetic and for the simple appearance of the three dots. The dots can be the same size to keep the symmetry or vary in size, color, or shade. There are hundreds of design avenues that you can go down with the three dots tattoo when you’re not getting it as a gang tattoo.
- Owners of these tattoos can come up with any number of three dot tattoo meanings since there are plenty of things that use the number three;
- For example, someone who wants to get a very cheap and private tattoo might get the three dots tattoo to represent three very important moments or people in their lives;
The image of three dots can hold religious significance as well. The number three is often a reference to the Holy Trinity in Christianity and represents the Son, the Father, and the Holy Spirit. Some people will get a religious version of the three dots tattoo that looks exactly like the gangster version, while others might put a lot more space between the dots.
The three dots can be accompanied by a crucifix or other religious iconography to make the intention of the tattoo clear although the additional imagery should be clean and simple so that the three dots are emphasized rather than hidden.
Moons or stars work well with the dots to create a minimalist constellation design. Interestingly, some people combine three dot tattoo meanings to make this tattoo even more personal. It’s not uncommon at all for someone to get a three dot tattoo to represent both their “crazy” side and their religious side. In a literary sense the three dots represent the ellipsis, a grammatical element used to indicate the incompletion of a thought or phrase. The ellipsis alludes to something that is not stated but possibly implied, a sentence that trails off and leaves question. The ellipsis tattoo is a symbol of continuation, a path or journey that leads to something more for better or worse. It represents something that does not necessarily need to be said or written but it better left unsaid.
After all, plenty of prisoners find religion while they are behind bars so it makes sense that they would find the three dot tattoo to be the perfect tat for them. What’s interesting is that people often think that someone has a three dots tattoo when they actually have the five dots tattoo.
These two tats have different meanings, though they can look quite similar. With the five dot tattoo, the owner is trying to show that they are the fifth dot trapped inside of the other four dots, representing their time spent in prison. When looking at a three dots tattoo, it is important to look at the shape of the dots before coming to any conclusions about the meaning of the tattoo.
- If the dots are in the shape of a triangle, they could represent any of the things we mentioned above;
- If they are in a straight line, there’s a pretty good chance that the owner is not in a gang;
- Because the three dots tattoo can make someone seem like they’re in a gang even though they aren’t, it’s always a good idea to get other designs around the three dots to make the meaning a bit clearer;
The number three itself has quite a few meanings, and the three dots tattoo might have more to do with the number than the dots. For example, someone might get the three dots tattoo to represent “motivation” because that is one of the more well-known meanings for the number three.
This is yet another reason why you shouldn’t assume that a three dots tattoo automatically means that the owner of the tat is or ever was in a gang. However, if you do want to use the number three in this way, we recommend trying to find another design than the three dots tattoo to avoid unwanted confusion.
You might also find that the three dots were used because they are a cheap and easy tattoo to get. Three friends might get three dots apiece to represent their friendship, though these tattoos are very rarely on the face. These types of cheap tattoos are often done outside of a tattoo parlor since pretty much anyone could make a dot with a needle. To go even further, the three dots might represent something very personal to the owner. The dots could represent loved ones or even personal goals. It’s an inexpensive tattoo that can have multiple meanings for the owner and they just wanted anything that could represent those meanings. That being said, the three dots tattoo is generally seen as a prison tat, especially when it is drawn on the owner’s face.
We don’t recommend making your own tattoos, but it’s certainly not uncommon. That doesn’t mean you should assume that the person is gang affiliated, but it is the most common meaning. Obviously you have a lot to think about if you are planning on getting a three dots tattoo.
If you don’t want it to be seen as a gang tattoo, it would be best to not get it in a triangular shape and to avoid getting it on or around your face. You can very easily get the three dots to blend in with a bigger design if you really want to have a three dots tattoo.
- It’s probably pretty surprising to find out that the three dots tattoo has so many meanings;
- While it is a tattoo that was once seen as just another gang tattoo, it now has all of the meanings listed above and plenty of others;
In all honesty, it’s a tattoo that you’ll want to avoid altogether unless you’re able to find a unique design that won’t confuse people. .
What is a good first tattoo?
While upper arms, forearms, thighs, and calves are all great locations, Brodsky says elbow and knee tattooing can be ‘kind of spicy, but it’s still doable. ‘ Tattoos on the torso hurt worse, she explains, because the skin is softer and lighter.
What tattoos are lucky?
What tattoo signifies strength?
What Are The General Symbols of Strength? – Image Sorce: Saved Tattoo Here are some of the mainstream symbols of strength and power that people tend to use for their tattoo designs. But, don’t worry, we’ll feature some of the more unique designs in the following paragraphs. There are just exemplary designs so we can get an insight into what people associate with strength;
- The Eagle – ever since ancient times, the eagle has been a symbol of power, strength, leadership, courage, etc. In ancient Greek or Greek mythology, the eagle was known to be one animal into which Zeus would transform when he came down to earth. Nowadays, the eagle is known as a true American symbol, symbolizing a powerful state which serves as a leader of the modern western world.
- The Dragon – for thousands of years, dragons have been seen as symbols of great power, incredible strength, might, and perseverance. From ancient European times, dragons have been feared and often associated with the devil or evil. However, in Asia, dragons are seen as powerful, strong, and able to defeat any evil or enemy.
- The Lightning Bolt – the lightning bolt is an ancient symbol originating in Greek and Norse mythology. It was often seen as a way for the Gods to punish the mortals and non-believers. However, the lightning bolt is nowadays associated with supernatural power and is often used as a tattoo symbol for one’s power and strength to beat the seemingly unbeatable fights in life.
- The Circle – even though it may seem unusual, the circle has been seen as a symbol of female strength and power for thousands of years. It is also seen as a symbol of intellect, power of the mind, female might, unity, family, and wholeness in life. To this day, many women, and men, tend to get a simple circle tattoo to showcase and pay tribute to the power of a female.
Where does it hurt the least to get a tattoo?
Least painful to tattoo – The least painful places to get a tattoo are areas of your body with fewer nerve endings. Think outer shoulder, calf, buttocks, and outer arm. While people generally focus on the location on the body, Stanley Kovak , a cosmetic physician, theorizes that pain is more about size.
What does Lotus tattoo mean?
Lotus flowers symbolize a number of different things, making them unique and highly personal tattoos. In general, the flower is believed to represent rising above temptation and becoming a better person. In Hindu belief, lotus flowers are referred to as Padma and symbolize beauty, purity, and spiritual awakening. Meet the Expert
- Brittany Randell is a professional tattoo artist based in Toronto.
- Rachael Ainsworth is a professional tattoo artist based in Berlin.
If you want a beautiful tattoo that symbolizes something important to you—whether love or enlightenment—a lotus flower is sure to be a perfect choice. So we went for the best inspirations with expert advice from tattoo artists Brittany Randell and Rachael Ainsworth. Keep scrolling for 28 stunning lotus flower designs to inspire your next tattoo. 01 of 28.
Why is tattoo a sin?
Sunni Islam [ edit ] – The majority of Sunni Muslims believe tattooing is a sin, because it involves changing the natural creation of God, inflicting unnecessary pain in the process. Tattoos are classified as dirty things, which is prohibited in Islam.
- They believe that a dirty body will directly lead to a dirty mind and will destroy their wudhu, ritual ablution;
-  Some Shafi’i scholars such as Amjad Rasheed argue that tattooing causes impurity and that tattoos were prohibited by the Prophet Muhammad;
They also claim that those who are decorated with tattoos are contaminated with najas ,  due to potential mixture of blood and coloured pigment that remains upon the surface of the skin.  Blood is viewed as an impure substance, so a person with a tattoo cannot engage in several religious practices.
-  However, in the present day, it is possible to get a tattoo without mixing dye with blood after it exits onto the outer surface of the body, leaving a possibility for a Muslim to wear a tattoo and perform a valid prayer;
Scholar Yusuf al-Qaradawi states that tattoos are sinful because they are an expression of vanity and they alter the physical creation of God.  According to the online South African Deobandi fatwa service called Ask-the-Imam , Muslims should remove any tattoos they have if possible or cover them in some way.
What does a spider tattoo on the neck mean?
Spider on Neck Tattoo – In addition to being a prison tattoo and representing being captured and being imprisoned, the spider on the neck tattoo might also represent hard times you are dealing with. It might feel like you are stuck in place or caught by the spider or in its web.
It’s up to you to get out of it. We named a few examples but there are many more ways to have this tattoo inked on your body. The key is to make sure you know what you want it to mean. You don’t want to regret this tattoo later so make sure you are ready for it.
In addition, you need to find an artist that can complete your idea in the way you want it done. Have a sit down with the prospective artist and make sure you’re comfortable with them. If you need help finding and artist, let us know because we can help. .
What does a star tattoo on your hand mean?
Consider Placement – Usually, the design of the star holds the meaning of the tattoo, but sometimes the location of the tattoo on your body can mean something too. A star on your foot or hand can symbolize leading you somewhere, while over your heart or the back of your neck could be to help you remember someone you’ve loved or lost.
For small tattoos : finger, wrist, ankle, foot, toe , neck, collarbone/clavicle, hip, under eye, and behind ear. For medium tattoos : wrist, forearm, elbow , angle, foot, calve, neck, shoulder, lower back and hip.
For large tattoos : upper arm, forearm, calve, shoulder, back of shoulder, lower back, and hip.
What does a nail tattoo mean?
Indeed, nail tattoos are mostly related to the nails of the crucifixion. But they are not all related to christianity. The saying is ‘tough as nails’ and indeed, nail tattoos are often rough, solid and huge pieces of metal. The nail stands for destiny, and not its bright side.
It is showing the scars, traumas and things we can’t forget, yet we accept to live with. Nails in a skull are showing these negative things are coming with us until the end, or leading us to it. Indeed, these tattoos are related to the nails of the coffins.
They are a little reminder of our fate and how we need to enjoy each second. But these pieces of hardware are also a symbol of ourselves. Receiving the strokes of life, and sometimes a bit twisted. Yet, we are not useless, just different. You could have many reasons to fill your sleeves and adorn your body with nail tattoos, and if you are looking for ideas, perhaps one of these examples nailed it! Badass skull by Bartosz Wojda. Sick palm tattoos by Bob Geerts! Cool composition by David Rudzinski. Graphic crucifixion tattoo by Eric Jason Dsouza. Solid tattoo by Hugo. Blackwork by Katie McGowan. Twisted nail by L’Andro Gynette. By Marcel Preuß. By Moritz Piwon. Impressive 3D nail! Please credit. The work of Philip Yarnell. Also by Philip Yarnell. By Rafel Delalande. By Robert William Ashby. Another skull, by Steve Wade..
What makes a tattoo design good?
We get asked all the time for good tattoo designs and tattoo ideas and, like our collection of beautiful tattoos last week, sometimes that just depends on your perspective of what “good” actually means. But there are, definitely, some things that make certain designs work extremely well.
and with this selection of pieces, we hope to show you what to look for when you’re planning out your next tattoo, or working with your favorite artist to design your next custom tattoo. It always starts with an inspiring idea.
and we’re sure we’ve got you covered there. but what next? How do you create something that stands out? How do you go from the idea to the visual representation? Well. read on to find out. Good tattoo designs are based on a whole lot of things. You obviously want to make sure that the concept is strong.
even if that means you’re simply doing a nod to Traditional or Tribal. And, usually, if you feel really strongly about your idea, then that makes the rest of the process so much easier to depict a powerful piece.
But there are also a few others things that your tattoo artist can help with when designing something that you’ll not only love forever, but that will look seriously cool ten, twenty, or even fifty, years from now. For instance, take Traditional tattoos.
- part of the reason why they’re so popular, and why they continue to be a mainstay of the tattoo community, is that the old saying “bold will hold” is 100% true;
- The bold black lines, striking color palette, and simplicity of these artful conceptions helps create a powerful tattoo that heals well, and ages even better;
You’ll notice that with the examples in this collection, like Pablo Lillo’s portrait of a wine loving lady, and Andres’ illustration of the devil and his conquest, that the lines are wonderfully capture the image, but also leave a lot of room for what are known as “skin breaks”.
room for the skin to show through. This helps with image recognition, and as the tattoo ages, it makes sure that the piece will remain clear and easily legible. If you look at all the other tattoos, they also have this aspect: the lines aren’t squashed together.
size actually does matter when creating a design, and your artist will tell you if your idea may need a bit more room to wander. In addition to choosing the correct size to depict your idea, balance is totally key. You’ll notice that every single piece in this good tattoo design collection, no matter the style, is balanced.
It’s not only parts of the image that are in harmony. the tattoo itself also needs to be a good fit for where it is placed on the body. Check out Pawel Indulski ‘s moon lady. the placement of the crescent moons helps create a cohesive vision.
It doesn’t feel like it’s missing something. The same goes for Oscar Akermo ‘s tattoo. even though the forearm is not a rectangle, that shape works really well on that part of the body. He even fit it around other pieces in a way that makes the space used, and the space around the tattoo, in harmony.
So, it’s not just size, line quality, balance, or space. it’s everything put together that makes a tattoo design really stand out. Look at the rest of these pieces, and try to figure out what makes it such a successful design (even if it isn’t your particular fave style).
It’s okay if you’re not super artistic, or if this isn’t your forte. because that’s why some tattoo artists are so freaking good at their job!! They are there to give you the tattoo of your dreams. and all of this artsy fartsy design info comes to them like a second nature.
What symbolizes overcoming struggle?
The lotus symbolizes growing and overcoming obstacles, hardship, and whatever life throws at you.
What represents strength for a tattoo?
Lotus/Floral Tattoo Design – As mentioned earlier, the lotus flower is an ultimate symbol of personal emotional, and physical strength. The lotus design is suitable for both men and women and represents power, strength, endurance, and one’s ability to overcome life’s struggles.
- The design is incredibly beautiful, and the tattoo can be either small or big, simple or intricate;
- Some people tend to chose wonderful color schemes for their lotus tattoo, while others go with a more minimalistic approach;
Either way, you cannot go wrong with a lotus design.
- Tattoo highlights – just like with any design, the lotus tattoo can be either less or more expensive depending on the size, intricacy of the design, and the choice of color. Smaller designs can cost you up to $800 , while larger lotus tattoos with intricate design can cost up to $2,500.
- Best body placement – forearm, wrist, ankle, foot, middle of the chest, side of the neck, the bottom of the neck, lower back, shoulder area, etc.
Other Design Recommendations .