What To Use To Moisturize Tattoo?
Should I apply lotion to my tattoo? What kind of tattoo care products do you recommend? – Yes! Moisturizing your tattoo regularly is extremely important. You should moisturize your clean tattoo 3 – 6 times per day, for roughly two weeks (though proper skincare is always important, and most tattoo enthusiasts moisturize their tattoos daily for life!). A white cream lotion or moisturizer, preferably unscented, should be used! We recommend these fragrance-free, white cream lotions: Aveeno , Curel , and Eucerin . Be warned: your favorite fragranced lotion is not a good option for moisturizing your tattoo – this can cause an excruciating burning sensation when applied to the tattoo, which is essentially an open wound. The fewer chemicals in the product, the better! Pure cocoa butter or shea butter is also popular for darker skin tones and is a fine option. There are some manufacturers who design products specifically for tattoo aftercare that work well for long-term care (such as Tattoo Goo , H2Ocean , and Hustle Butter ). Do NOT use aloe vera gel to moisturize, and we don’t recommend A&D ointment either, as the oil in these products can extract some of the ink from your tattoo.
- 1 What is the best cream to put on a new tattoo?
- 1.1 Can I use coconut oil on my tattoo?
- 1.2 Will Vaseline ruin a tattoo?
- 1.3 Is Aloe Vera good for tattoos?
- 1.4 How to APPLY Healing Ointment & Moisturizer on a NEW tattoo | THE BEST NEW METHOD I ALWAYS USE
- 1.5 Can you over moisturize a tattoo?
- 2 Can I put lotion on my tattoo?
What is the best thing to put on a new tattoo?
Aftercare for Your Tattoo – So, how can you make sure that new tattoo is something you don’t end up regretting? Follow these steps while your new tattoo heals.
- Be sure your artist covers your new tattoo in a thin layer of petroleum jelly and a bandage.
- Remove the bandage after 24 hours. Gently wash the tattoo with antimicrobial soap and water and be sure to pat dry.
- Apply a layer of antibacterial/Vaseline ointment twice a day, but don’t put on another bandage.
- Gently wash your tattoo area twice a day with soap and water and gently pat dry before reapplying the antibacterial/Vaseline ointment.
- Keep applying a moisturizer or ointment after you clean it to keep it moist.
You should repeat this process for 2 to 4 weeks. Also try not to wear clothes that will stick to your tattoo, and avoid swimming and the sun for about 2 weeks. And take cool showers. Scalding hot water will not only hurt, but it can also fade the ink. Wear a physical blocker sunscreen with at least 7% zinc oxide sunscreen during the daylight hours and/or cover it up (with clothing, a bandage).
Is Vaseline or lotion better for tattoos?
DON’T re-bandage your tattoo, rub, scratch or pick at your new tattoo. DON’T apply alcohol, Neosporin, Vaseline, or petroleum jelly (they can trap dirt and germs and cause infection). DON’T apply a heavy coat of lotion (remember the skin must breathe in order to heal).
What is the best cream to put on a new tattoo?
Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment Aquaphor’s Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment is easily one of the most widely used treatments for tattoo aftercare, as myriad artists swear by it.
Can I use coconut oil on my tattoo?
– Coconut oil is gentle enough to use during any stage of the tattoo process. You can apply it to new tattoos, old ones, or even those that are undergoing removal or retouching. This can prove beneficial if you have more than one tattoo, or if you’re thinking about getting additional ink in the near future.
Do and don’ts after tattoo?
When can I start using lotion on my tattoo?
You should start moisturizing your tattoo as soon as it starts to dry — not before. This can generally take about 1–3 days after you got your tattoo. Be sure to wash and dry your tattoo with antibacterial soap and choose the appropriate moisturizer as well.
If you’re new to tattoos, we recommend that you educate yourself on the complete healing process. We go into detail on the precautions you need to take, how to get the job done, and how often to moisturize.
If you’re a tattoo-head, it might be worth your while to get a refresher, as well.
Will Vaseline ruin a tattoo?
– Vaseline isn’t the best choice for tattoo aftercare. Petroleum jelly traps moisture and bacteria, which can lead to infections and scarring if your tattoo doesn’t get enough air while it’s healing. You may be able to use Vaseline on old tattoos if your skin is dry. aftercare ointments and lotions While your tattoo artist should give you the supplies you need for your immediate aftercare, you can also purchase extra ointment and lotion online:
- A+D ointment
Is Aloe Vera good for tattoos?
How to APPLY Healing Ointment & Moisturizer on a NEW tattoo | THE BEST NEW METHOD I ALWAYS USE
Conclusions: Is Aloe Vera Good for Tattoo Care? – Aloe vera is great for tattoo care. Finding tattoo care products that include aloe vera as an ingredient like ours can be key to the health of your art. Aloe vera can help ensure the area is soothed and protected, ease discomfort and irritation, and keep your tattoo moisturized while letting it breathe.
- With amazing cooling effects and nourishing properties, your vulnerable-to-infection ink will thank you for using aloe vera;
- It is an all natural product that yields amazing results;
- So, yes, aloe vera is good for tattoos;
You’re welcome. Sources: Aloe Vera and Tattoo Aftercare | LinkedIn Can Aloe Vera help with Tattoos? | Easy Succulents Aloe Vera | NCCIH.
Can you over moisturize a tattoo?
What Are The Risks of Over Moisturizing a Tattoo? – By applying thicker layers of lotion or ointment, several times a day (or every hour or two as some people do), you’re risking over-moisturizing a tattoo. By over-moisturizing a tattoo, you can cause the following problems;
- Due to excess moisture, the tattoo won’t be able to dry and heal
- Excess moisture can create a perfect environment for bacteria and germ growth
- Over moisturizing can lead to tattoo inflammation and infection
- Excess moisture can cause clogged pores since the moisturizer prevents the skin from breathing
- Excess moisture can cause the tattooed skin to break out
To avoid these issues, make sure to follow the moisturizing rules we mentioned before. However, make sure to not under moisturizing your tattoo as well. Some people are afraid they might over-moisturize their tattoo, so they leave it dehydrated, which results in heavy scabbing and tattoo dryness. So, make sure to stay in the middle and simply apply a thin layer of lotion/ointment twice a day.
Why do tattoo artists use Vaseline while tattooing?
During the Tattooing Process – Tattoo artists use Vaseline when tattooing because the needle and ink are creating a wound. The wound needs something to help heal, and Vaseline can act as a protector for your skin. While it may not prevent scarring and other changes, it can help keep your skin healthy.
A tattoo artist may use a little bit of Vaseline, or they can use more of it all over the tattoo site. Using a small amount can help prepare your skin for getting a tattoo, so you don’t need a ton of Vaseline for it to help.
After the artist finishes your tattoo, they can wipe away the product. Then, you can apply a new layer of it as part of your aftercare.
Can I put lotion on my tattoo?
– There will come a point during your washing-drying-ointment routine when you’ll have to switch from using ointment to using lotion. This is usually after several days to a week or so after you first received your tattoo. There’s a difference between ointment and lotion.
Ointments like Aquaphor do a more heavy-duty job of moisturizing the skin than do lotions. That’s because ointments have an oil base, while lotions have a water base. Lotions are more spreadable and breathable than ointments.
Aquaphor has the added benefit of anti-inflammatory effects, which can make the tattoo healing process speedier and more comfortable. After a given number of days of using ointment (your tattoo artist will specify how many), you’ll switch to lotion. This is because you need to keep your tattoo moist for several weeks until it’s completely healed.
During your aftercare routine, instead of adding ointment, apply a thin layer of lotion at least twice a day. However, you might need to apply lotion as much as up to four times a day to keep your healing tattoo hydrated.
Be sure to use unscented lotion. Perfumed lotions typically contain alcohol, which can dry out the skin.
Is aquaphor better than Vaseline for tattoos?
Aquaphor is recommended for tattoos In the first few days after getting a tattoo, you’ll need to keep it moisturized and bandaged. Aquaphor is recommended for tattoos because of its anti-inflammatory properties, while Vaseline is not, as it can block air from getting to the tattoo, which is needed for healing.