How Do You Know Your Tattoo Is Healed?
You will know that your tattoo is completely healed when there are no scabs, the texture of your skin where the tattoo was placed is the same as a similar surface of skin, and the colors on your tattoo are no longer faded.
How can you tell if a tattoo is not healing?
– It’s important to know the signs that your tattoo isn’t healing properly or has become infected. Symptoms of improper healing include:
- Fever or chills. A fever may indicate that your tattoo has become infected, and you should see a doctor right away.
- Prolonged redness. All tattoos will be somewhat red for a few days after the procedure, but if the redness doesn’t subside , it’s a sign that your tattoo isn’t healing well.
- Oozing fluid. If fluid or pus is still coming out from your tattoo after 2 or 3 days, it may be infected. See a doctor.
- Swollen, puffy skin. It’s normal for the tattoo to be raised for a few days, but the surrounding skin shouldn’t be puffy. This may indicate that you’re allergic to the ink.
- Severe itching or hives. Itchy tattoos can also be a sign that your body is allergic to the ink. The allergic reaction to a tattoo can happen right after, or as much as several years after getting the tattoo.
- Scarring. Your tattoo will scab over because it’s a wound, but a properly healed tattoo shouldn’t scar. Signs of scarring include raised, puffy skin, redness that doesn’t fade, distorted colors within the tattoo, or pitted skin.
How long does it take for a tattoo to heal?
Once this layer of dead skin cells has built up, your tattoo will maintain its vibrancy. It usually only takes a few weeks to a month for your tattoo to appear completely healed, but the top layer of the skin actually heals faster than the deeper layers of the skin.
What happens if a tattoo scab falls off too soon?
Cloudiness – Sometimes when a scab falls off too soon the skin underneath has a cloudy or paler appearance than the skin around it. This is a sign that your tattoo is still healing beneath the skin. This is often a sign of slow healing and while it may prolong healing for 1-2 weeks more it isn’t necessarily a sign that there is a problem.
Is it normal for a tattoo to hurt after 2 weeks?
Pain – If your tattoo still hurts then it’s not healed. Pain is a sign of damage to skin cells and the nerves beneath them, signaling that the healing process is still ongoing. If your tattoo is a bit sore for the first couple of weeks that’s normal, and if it feels sensitive for another 2 weeks , especially to sunlight, that’s normal too.