101 Day of the Dead Tattoos That Are Haunting and Brilliant
The Day of the Dead Tattoos, also known as Dia de Los Muertos, is a holiday that falls at the end of October, overlaps with Halloween, and ends on November 2nd. This holiday is deeply rooted in Mexican cultural and religious beliefs that, basically, have merged ancient Aztec rituals with Halloween. Originally, this holiday was celebrated in August. However, due to the similar themes, it was merged with Halloween.
Day of the Dead honors and celebrates the death of ancestors with songs, dances, food, and all sorts of parties. People mostly focus on November 2nd as the main day of the holiday, even though it lasts almost three days. The first day is All Hallows Eve, or simply said Halloween. On November 1st, which is also called All Saints Day, altars for deceased adults are set up. Lastly, the All Souls Day takes place on November 2nd. Due to various beliefs, some people honor November 1st as Day of the Innocents and November 2nd as the Day of the Dead.
- 1 DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS:
- 2 EXCEPTIONAL SUGAR SKULL TATTOO
- 3 INTRIGUING DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 4 COLORFUL DAY OF THE DEAD SUGAR SKULL
- 5 SUGAR SKULL & ROSE
- 6 BEAUTIFUL DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 7 SUGAR SKULL BABUSHKA/MATRYOSHKA
- 8 24. SLEEVE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 9 23. BLACK & WHITE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 10 22. MYSTICAL REDHEAD SUGAR SKULL
- 11 21. SUGAR SKULL & SKULL
- 12 20. FLOWERS, DIAMOND & SUGAR SKULL
- 13 19. DARK DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 14 18. ADORABLE SUGAR SKULL CAT TATTOO
- 15 17. SKULL, ROSE, TIME
- 16 16. MATCHING SUGAR SKULLS
- 17 15. DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS FOR COUPLES
- 18 14. ARM DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 19 13. AMAZING DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS IDEA
- 20 12. ATTRACTIVE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 21 11. DARING SUGAR SKULL TATTOOS
- 22 10. MYSTERIOUS, PURPLE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 23 9. SUGAR SKULL LADY WITH A TATTOO
- 24 8. FEMALE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 25 7. BEAUTIFUL SUGAR SKULL LADY
- 26 6. UNBELIEVABLE BACK DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOO
- 27 5. BOLD DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 28 4. EYE-CATCHING DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 29 3. OWL & SUGAR SKULL TATTOO
- 30 2. REMARKABLE HALF-SLEEVE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
- 31 1. GORGEOUS LEG DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS:
When it comes to tattoos, Day of the Dead tattoos mostly feature La Calavera Catrina or the Lady of the Dead. Besides the skeletons or sugar skulls, roses and jewels are pretty common motifs. Some people may find skeleton tattoos repulsive because they do not understand the meaning of such tattoos. In many cultures, skeletons are revered and treated with respect since they are the only proof that the person has left his/her mark on this planet.
David de la Torre once explained that “Death brings this neutralizing force; Everyone is equal in the end. Sometimes people have to be reminded.”
EXCEPTIONAL SUGAR SKULL TATTOO
The skull symbol, or skulls in general, are usually recognized as a bad omen; something that represents darkness, death, and the deepest human fears. On the other hand, skulls have a completely different meaning for Mexicans. They particularly favor the so-called “sugar skulls,” which they use as decorations on the headstones of those who have left this world. The gravestones of the beloved ones are usually decorated on the Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) festival. This is one of the main reasons why Day of the Dead tattoos typically involve sugar skulls.
INTRIGUING DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
COLORFUL DAY OF THE DEAD SUGAR SKULL
SUGAR SKULL & ROSE
BEAUTIFUL DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
SUGAR SKULL BABUSHKA/MATRYOSHKA
Have you heard of the Russian Matryoshka, or better known as Babushka dolls? They are these neat, wooden dolls that stack within each other. These dolls are loved by women from all over the world because of their fun and colorful design. However, these lovable dolls also have a symbolic meaning. Babushka actually means grandmother. Since this tattoo also features a sugar skull, it may be devoted to the wearer’s grandmother or even mother. Such a great idea for Day of the Dead tattoos! A set of Babushka dolls tattoo could also symbolize several family members. When it comes to design, the greatest thing about these dolls is that they are usually very kitschy, so you can let your imagination run wild. However, it is recommended that you stay within the limit of three or four colors.
24. SLEEVE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
23. BLACK & WHITE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
22. MYSTICAL REDHEAD SUGAR SKULL
21. SUGAR SKULL & SKULL
20. FLOWERS, DIAMOND & SUGAR SKULL
Usually, Mexicans adorn the foreheads of their deceased beloved ones with some traditional items such as marigolds, candles, or even some food. They believe this could actually lure their deceased ones back to earth. Sometimes, you can even find the names of the deceased ones written on the forehead of a sugar skull. Each pattern has its unique meaning. For example, a sugar skull tattoo with flowers around the eyes implies life. Day of the dead tattoos that feature sugar skull with lit candles definitely symbolize the reminiscence. On this tattoo, the candles are extinguished, yet beautiful things like flowers and the diamond are emphasized. Could this tattoo actually be a reminder of the transitoriness of the earthly things?
19. DARK DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
18. ADORABLE SUGAR SKULL CAT TATTOO
17. SKULL, ROSE, TIME
16. MATCHING SUGAR SKULLS
Sometimes, one sugar skull tattoo is not enough. You may simply fall in love with two designs, or you may even want to have a reminder of two people you love the most forever in your heart and on your body.
15. DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS FOR COUPLES
14. ARM DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
13. AMAZING DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS IDEA
12. ATTRACTIVE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
11. DARING SUGAR SKULL TATTOOS
10. MYSTERIOUS, PURPLE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
The basic traditional meaning of the sugar skull is that it celebrates life. But, your tattoo should have a personal meaning for you and send a message you want it to send. So, if you want your tattoo to show everyone your intriguing and mysterious side, a mysterious lady and the color purple are a great way to do so.
9. SUGAR SKULL LADY WITH A TATTOO
8. FEMALE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
7. BEAUTIFUL SUGAR SKULL LADY
6. UNBELIEVABLE BACK DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOO
Great passion and emotion can both be seen and felt in this picture. Sugar skull kissing a skull is certainly not a design that you can see every day. However, it is very symbolic and deep. A great way to combine love, life and death in Day of the Dead tattoos.
5. BOLD DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
4. EYE-CATCHING DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
3. OWL & SUGAR SKULL TATTOO
2. REMARKABLE HALF-SLEEVE DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
1. GORGEOUS LEG DAY OF THE DEAD TATTOOS
The greatest thing about Day of the Dead tattoos is that they are universal. This means both men and women can wear them, and decorate them in their own style. You can never go wrong, even if you use only black ink or a lot of colors on your tattoo design.